From: April 27, 2018 at 9:00am to: 12:00pm
Trainer(s): Eric Ström, JD, MA. LMHC
****This event was rescheduled from its previous date of February 16th.****
Federal and State regulations regarding service animals can seem complicated, confusing, and contradictory. In this workshop we will highlight the key legal distinctions between service animals, support animals, therapy animals, and pets. We will then discuss the legal and ethical implications of each category with a specific focus on how these laws apply to mental health clinicians working with Veteran clients. Participants will improve their ability to implement strategies to minimize professional liability while maximizing clinical effectiveness and support to clients with animal support. This course is intended to meet ethics CEU requirements.
Objectives: This workshop is designed to equip you to:
- Describe Federal and Washington State legal standards regarding service animals
- Recognize legal differences between service animals and support animals
- Summarize ethical standards relating to the use of animals in therapy
- Create and evaluate strategies to minimize liability while maximizing clinical effectiveness and client support
Parking: Ample on-street parking is available at or near the 2100 Building
- Fare Start @ 2100 Café – near the entrance to the 2100 Building
- Borracchini’s Bakery – 2307 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Burger King – 2021 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- McDonald’s – 2336 25th Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Wendy’s – 2543 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- QFC – 2711 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Toshio’s Teriyaki – 1706 Rainier Ave S., Seattle 98144
Free CEs & Clock Hours: Workshop certificate documents hours of instruction toward Continuing Education. Clock-hour forms are available free upon completion of the workshop.
The Veterans Training Support Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. VTSC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.