From: September 5, 2017 at 9:00am to: 12:00pm
Details: During this half day training participants will explore the differences and links between Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Post Traumatic Growth (PTG) and learn about the trainers’ experiences of over thirty years each with these concepts. Much has been written and discussed about PTSD, however there is a dearth of information and discussion regarding the very important therapeutic concept of PTG. Why do some combat veterans (and other trauma experiencers) find a theoretical and practical way to see themselves and others that allows for self-efficacy and a more robust life path than their peers with PTSD? Symptoms may always be present for these individuals, but the core “self” finds another way to integrate those trauma experiences into a personal development and growth approach. We will present descriptions from veterans who have exhibited PTG, review some of the research in this area, and ask participants to learn about skills in terms of working with trauma survivors regarding PTG. We will also present several cases for participants to practice those skills and come up with their own theoretic approach.
For Counselors and First-Line Case Managers Only
- Be familiar with some of the more prominent researchers in PTG
- Become aware of some of the commonalities and differences that veterans describe about their path to PTG from the trauma experience
- Be able to share with others their own experiences with trauma survivors who exhibit PTG in order to develop or enhance their theoretical and pragmatic approach to PTG
- Develop & integrate tools that might foster PTG in their client base
- Learn some of the more common precursors for the potential of PTG
- Explore how PTS could lead to certain career choices and relationship choices that will assist with and enhance their PTG
Parking: Ample on-street parking is available at or near the 2100 Building
- Fare Start @ 2100 Café – near the entrance to the 2100 Building
- Borracchini’s Bakery – 2307 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Burger King – 2021 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- McDonald’s – 2336 25th Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Wendy’s – 2543 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- QFC – 2711 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Toshio’s Teriyaki – 1706 Rainier Ave S., Seattle 98144
Free CEs & Clock Hours: Workshop certificate documents hours of instruction toward Continuing Education. Clock-hour forms are available free upon completion of the workshop.
The Veterans Training Support Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. VTSC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.