Location: North City Water District
1519 NE 177th St
Shoreline, WA 98155
map | directions
From: August 19, 2016 at 9:00am to: 12:00pm
Trainer(s): Eric Ström, JD, MA. LMHC
Details: Concern about the lack of confidentiality of mental health records may inhibit many veterans from seeking effective counseling services. This workshop will address state and federal laws regarding the limits of confidentiality for mental health counseling records. The workshop will also present strategies for maximizing the protection of confidentiality laws for the benefit of veteran clients. Among the topics to be covered are: lethality, duty to warn, and mandatory reporting; diagnosing and progress notes; insurance versus private pay; and government versus private records. This course is intended to meet ethics CEU requirements.
Training for Mental & Behavioral Health Professionals: This workshop is open to professionals with mental and behavioral health-related graduate degrees (e.g., MSW, MA, MS, MSN), physicians, dentists, and psychologists (e.g., AMA, ADA, APA), and those professionals who are qualified for membership in, or are members of their respective professional organizations. Graduate students in an accredited mental or behavioral health program may also participate in this training.
- Understand the relationship between State Laws, HIPAA, and Professional Ethics Codes with respect to client confidentiality
- Understand the legal requirements of clinical recordkeeping
- Explore strategies for maximizing your ability to protect veteran client confidentiality
Parking: Parking available in lot and on the street.
- Leena’s Café – 17732 15th Ave NE, Shoreline, WA 98155
- Easy Monkey Taphouse – 17537 15th Ave NE, Shoreline, WA 98155
- Ichi Bento – 17203 15th Ave NE, Shoreline, WA 98155
- Suni’s Pizza – 17751 15th Ave NE, Shoreline, WA 98155
- McDonald’s – 20227 Ballinger Way NE, Shoreline, WA 98155
- Safeway – 17202 15th Ave NE, Shoreline, WA 98155
- Peking House – 17505 15th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98155
Free CEs & Clock Hours: Workshop certificate documents hours of instruction toward Continuing Education. Clock-hour forms are available free upon completion of the workshop.
The Veterans Training Support Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. VTSC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.