From: March 23, 2018 at 9:00am to: 4:00pm
Trainer(s): Janelle Painter, PhD
This is an introductory skills workshop for providers who want to increase their comfort and ability working with Veterans with serious mental illness (SMI). Schizophrenia and bipolar disorders are chronic and recurrent mental health conditions that significantly impact the way a person thinks, feels and behaves. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) offers skills to become more cognitively flexible, to change the way a person thinks about and evaluates symptoms, and to consider alternative explanations for symptom experiences. CBT has been shown effective in the treatment of many complex and highly distressing symptoms, including command auditory hallucinations, grandiosity and paranoia. In this 6-hour training, participants will explore the fundamental components of CBT interventions for people with psychosis and bipolar disorders and gain knowledge in addressing common barriers to treatment engagement in this population. The aim of this training is to provide participants with practical clinical tools and techniques to further assist Veterans with SMI in leading meaningful and fulfilling lives.
This workshop is open to professionals with mental and behavioral health-related graduate degrees. Students in a mental or behavioral health program may also participate in this training.
At the conclusion of the training, participants will be able to:
- Explain the theory underlying CBT interventions for psychosis and bipolar disorders
- Conceptualize how to best utilize CBT interventions to assist Veterans with SMI
- Learn basic information regarding the implementation of CBT interventions in this population
- Identify and address barriers to treatment engagement in this population
Parking: Ample on-street parking is available at or near the 2100 Building
- Fare Start @ 2100 Café – near the entrance to the 2100 Building
- Borracchini’s Bakery – 2307 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Burger King – 2021 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- McDonald’s – 2336 25th Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Wendy’s – 2543 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- QFC – 2711 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Toshio’s Teriyaki – 1706 Rainier Ave S., Seattle 98144
Free CEs & Clock Hours: Workshop certificate documents hours of instruction toward Continuing Education. Clock-hour forms are available free upon completion of the workshop.
The Veterans Training Support Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. VTSC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.