From: March 5, 2018 at 9:00am to: 4:00pm
Trainer(s): Sara Smucker Barnwell, Ph.D.
What is PTSD? As a civilian, is it possible to understand the traumatic experiences of my Veteran clients? How common is PTSD among Veterans? What types of therapies are best suited to treat PTSD among Veterans? This 6-hour workshop provides guidance to civilian clinicians interested in delivering care to Veteran clients. Particular emphasis is given to the diagnosis and treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder. Our workshop will combine educational resources, clinical vignette discussion, and practical examples to explore how civilian providers may navigate themes of trauma with respect and openness.
From an interactive base, the presenter provides practical demonstrations of the objectives through the utilization of technological media within an interactive attendee-centered PowerPoint presentation style. Attendees will be asked to participate in experiential exercises, including role play with colleagues.
Objectives: At the conclusion of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- Identify 3 resources where one may learn about military themes, terminology and events.
- Identify 3 clinical techniques for connecting with a client whose experience is highly divergent from one’s own.
- Identify the diagnostic concerns most commonly relevant to Veterans outside of PTSD.
- Identify the 8 diagnostic criteria associated with PTSD in DSM 5.
- Identify 3 evidence based therapies demonstrated to treat PTSD.
- Identify 3 resources in the community for active military and Veterans with PTSD.
Parking: Ample on-street parking is available at or near the 2100 Building
- Fare Start @ 2100 Café – near the entrance to the 2100 Building
- Borracchini’s Bakery – 2307 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Burger King – 2021 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- McDonald’s – 2336 25th Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Wendy’s – 2543 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- QFC – 2711 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Toshio’s Teriyaki – 1706 Rainier Ave S., Seattle 98144
Free CEs & Clock Hours: Workshop certificate documents hours of instruction toward Continuing Education. Clock-hour forms are available free upon completion of the workshop.
The Veterans Training Support Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. VTSC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.