From: August 21, 2017 at 9:00am to: 4:00pm
Trainer(s): Josie Tracy, Ph.D.
Details: This is an introductory skills workshop for clinicians who want to increase their comfort and ability working with veterans with substance use problems using a Harm Reduction Psychotherapy framework. The aim of this training is not only to provide you with practical clinical tools and techniques, but also to increase your compassion and empathy for veterans struggling with issues related to substance use. You will be introduced to the philosophical framework of Harm Reduction Psychotherapy, and learn clinical strategies you can use to aid treatment planning and clinical work. You will also be introduced to the basic principles of Motivational Interviewing (MI) and practice MI techniques in an interactive format. Finally, you will become familiar with self-help resources for veterans and their family members to assist with a wide range of substance use goals across the change spectrum.
Training for Mental & Behavioral Health Professionals: This workshop is open to professionals with mental and behavioral health-related graduate degrees (e.g., MSW, MA, MS, MSN), physicians, dentists, and psychologists (e.g., AMA, ADA, APA), and those professionals who are qualified for membership in, or are members of their respective professional organizations. Graduate students in an accredited mental or behavioral health program may also participate in this training.
- Learn the basic tenants of Harm Reduction Psychotherapy and how these differ from the Moral and Disease Models of Addiction.
- Learn case conceptualization and treatment planning techniques used in Harm Reduction Psychotherapy.
- Become familiar with the basic principles of Motivational Interviewing.
- Learn and practice basic Motivational Interviewing techniques.
- Become familiar with self-help resources for veterans and loved ones concerned about substance use issues.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this presentation are those of Dr. Josie Tracy, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of her employer, the Veteran’s Health Administration.
Parking: Ample on-street parking is available at or near the 2100 Building
- Fare Start @ 2100 Café – near the entrance to the 2100 Building
- Borracchini’s Bakery – 2307 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Burger King – 2021 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- McDonald’s – 2336 25th Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Wendy’s – 2543 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- QFC – 2711 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Toshio’s Teriyaki – 1706 Rainier Ave S., Seattle 98144
Free CEUs & Clock Hours: Workshop certificate documents hours of instruction toward Continuing Education Units. Clock-hour forms are available free upon completion of the workshop.