From: August 18, 2017 at 9:00am to: 4:00pm
Trainer(s): Sara Smucker Barnwell, Ph.D.
This 6-hour workshop provides guidance to providers interested in learning about mindfulness and its applications in behavioral health care. This introductory workshop will address core principles such as the basics of mindfulness, applications of mindfulness in behavioral health care, a general review of several therapies which utilize mindfulness, and practical examples of how mindfulness may be incorporated into diverse clinical work. Particular emphasis will be given on Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction techniques. Attendees will be asked to participate in several mindfulness exercises with the goal of replicating these exercises in their own practice. This workshop aims to orient attendees to the general principles of mindfulness and its application across therapies.
From an interactive base, the presenter provides practical demonstrations of the objectives through the utilization of technological media within an interactive attendee-centered PowerPoint presentation style. Attendees will be asked to participate in experiential exercises, including relaxation breathing, mindful eating, and mindfulness meditation.
Objectives: At the conclusion of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- Define mindfulness
- Identify three client populations that mindfulness may help
- Identify three diagnoses that may be treated through mindfulness-based interventions
- Identify three popular therapies that rely heavily on mindfulness
- Learn basic information regarding Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Experience a mindfulness meditation exercise
- Lead a mindfulness exercise in their own practice
Parking: Ample on-street parking is available at or near the 2100 Building
- Fare Start @ 2100 Café – near the entrance to the 2100 Building
- Borracchini’s Bakery – 2307 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Burger King – 2021 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- McDonald’s – 2336 25th Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Wendy’s – 2543 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- QFC – 2711 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Toshio’s Teriyaki – 1706 Rainier Ave S., Seattle 98144
Free CEUs & Clock Hours: Workshop certificate documents hours of instruction toward Continuing Education Units. Clock-hour forms are available free upon completion of the workshop.