From: July 21, 2017 at 9:00am to: 4:00pm
Trainer(s): Catherine Caska Wallace, Ph.D.
Details: A wealth of research has documented greater rates of relationship dissatisfaction among military and Veteran couples, especially for those who also struggle with mental health problems. Relationship dysfunction is associated with a multitude of mental and physical health consequences, and research has explored treatments that may serve to improve the quality of romantic relationships in both civilian and military populations. Integrative Behavioral Couple Therapy (IBCT) is an empirically supported couple therapy that has been endorsed by the Department of Veterans Affairs. This training aims to provide an overview of the challenges facing Veterans and their partners, introduce the therapeutic elements and implementation of IBCT, and discuss practical ways in which to manage common challenges in couples therapy (e.g., intimate partner violence, high conflict). This 6-hour training is intended for mental health professionals, and a background in couple therapy is not required.
Training for Mental & Behavioral Health Professionals: This workshop is open to professionals with mental and behavioral health-related graduate degrees (e.g., MSW, MA, MS, MSN), physicians, dentists, and psychologists (e.g., AMA, ADA, APA), and those professionals who are qualified for membership in, or are members of their respective professional organizations. Graduate students in an accredited mental or behavioral health program may also participate in this training.
- Increase understanding of the experience of military couples and the challenges that they may face
- Gain an introduction to the therapeutic elements of IBCT and learn how to implement this treatment with Veteran populations
- Discuss common challenges of couples therapy and how to best handle these difficulties
Parking: Ample on-street parking is available at or near the 2100 Building
- Fare Start @ 2100 Café – near the entrance to the 2100 Building
- Borracchini’s Bakery – 2307 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Burger King – 2021 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- McDonald’s – 2336 25th Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Wendy’s – 2543 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- QFC – 2711 Rainier Ave South, Seattle 98144
- Toshio’s Teriyaki – 1706 Rainier Ave S., Seattle 98144
Free CEUs & Clock Hours: Workshop certificate documents hours of instruction toward Continuing Education Units. Clock-hour forms are available free upon completion of the workshop.