From: April 24, 2020 at 9:00am to: 4:00pm
Ann Marie Roepke, PhD
Details: How can we help our clients make positive changes in their behavior -- without nagging, shaming, persuading, or arguing? Motivational interviewing (MI) is an evidence-based therapeutic approach that can help individuals change behaviors they might feel ambivalent about, such as exercising, changing their diet, quitting or reducing alcohol/drugs, adopting safer sex practices, taking important medications, engaging in behavioral activation, or starting psychotherapy. In this 6-hour advanced-level training, participants will build upon their existing MI skills through interactive and experiential learning activities. Participants will have the chance to:
• Hone their ability to evoke change talk by using MI micro-skills (open-ended questions, affirmations, reflections, summaries)
• Practice responding effectively to sustain talk and discord within the helping relationship
• Give advice and information in a motivating way
Training participants will have the opportunity to learn in a variety of ways including lecture, demonstrations, discussions, experiential learning activities, and role plays designed to give them a richer understanding of the use of motivational interviewing in therapeutic and healthcare settings. This advanced-level training will emphasize role playing and other direct skill practice.
Objectives: At the end of this training participants will be able to:
1. Demonstrate two ways to evoke change talk
2. Demonstrate use of MI-consistent reflective listening
3. Demonstrate MI-consistent style of responding to sustain talk and discord
4. Describe basic methods of coding MI adherence and competence
Free CEs & Clock Hours: Workshop certificate documents hours of instruction toward Continuing Education. Clock-hour forms are available free upon completion of the workshop.
The Veterans Training Support Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. VTSC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.